Monday, March 01, 2010

Soup!

My little L has a bit of a cold, and everyone knows chicken soup is just the thing for that.  Yesterday I made some from scratch.  Making stock is so easy.  I'm not sure how long ago but I was watching Nigella Lawson and she said that a really easy way to make chicken stock is to freeze the carcass of a store bought rotisserie chicken after you are done with it.  I've done this several times now, it's like getting a free meal out of something I buy anyway!  I just thaw the chicken in the fridge and put it in a pot of boiling water with some bay leaves & other spices plus whatever produce I have in the fridge that is still good but doesn't look as appetizing as it could.  Let simmer for a few hours and there you'll have some of the best stock you've ever eaten!  Freeze whatever you don't need for that night's soup.  Here's a picture of yesterday's stock cooking.  Happy eating!

No comments: