Tuesday, July 19, 2011

What to Do?

I found myself with a few days left until a week long vacation and around a pound of cherries in the fridge that were on the edge.  Well I turned to the The Tassajara Bread Book for inspiration. What I found was recipe #100 Torte with Sourcream Fruit Topping.  I did not infact have the required ingredients, but what I did was make my Grammie's shortcake recipe:
2C Flour                  1/2t Salt
2T Sugar                  1/2C Butter
3t Baking Powder     1 Egg
2/3C Milk
Mix the above together until just moistened, put in an 8x8 ungreased pan (pyrex works great!) cook for 15-18 minutes at 450 degrees.

I used the topping recipe with a substitution, there was no sourcream so I mixed ricotta with a square of cream cheese and some milk to thin it out.  Then I mixed in the cherries I had pitted and halved.

It was yummy, the cheese topping was lighter than I thought, and I would recommend crushing the fruit.  Also it was approved by both kids!

No comments: