Saturday, June 18, 2011

First Project



Well it's my first project made entirely at this house! I was itching to use my sewing machine, and one of the first things I came across when unpacking was the plain old white bath mat for the kids' bathroom. I decided something had to be done about it. So I remembered a tutorial from Sew Liberated. I wasn't in the mood to do a lot of piecing, so I just did strips.  It's a lovely easy way to use up scraps that are too big to get rid of, and from fabric that one loves so much!  I am also going to give the mat in my bathroom the same treatment, only I'll do a few things differently.  For this one I sewed the fabic piece onto the towel piece with right sides together and then turned it.  I found that to be a bit bulky for my machine on the edges where I wanted to do some edge sewing.  For the next one I will just make the fabric piece larger and iron a bit back and sew with the right sides already facing out, so no turning and no extra bulky edges.  Plus this is the first time I've "stitched in the ditch"  Yes, my strips are not straight, ummm I have issues with straight lines and I have been unable to locate my beloved shears and had to use embroidery scissors.  But I think it looks lovely.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Cute! I like it. :)