Monday, December 12, 2011

Cookie Day!

It isn't Christmastime without Grammy's Molasses Cookies!  I really think of them more as being my mom's, because I don't remember ever having had any that Grammy baked.  I think she just gave mom the recipe... Well anyway, these are my essential holiday cookie.  They are big, soft and not overly sweet.  They are great by themselves and really good with coffee.  My favorite time to eat them is actually the day after they are made and have sat all night in a sealed container, they just, soften up to the right density.  Best of all, no frosting required!  I mean you could frost them, but I've never had any that were.
Molasses Cookies
Grammy's Molasses Cookies
1C Sugar                 
1/2C Shortening (not butter)
1 Egg
1/2C Molasses
1/2C Cold Water
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Ginger
1 tsp Baking Soda
4C Flour

Cream shortening and sugar.  Add egg and beat well. Stir in Molasses. Add cold water and beat.  Add flour, ginger, salt and baking soda.  Mix soft dough, kneading as little as possible.  Roll about 1/2" thick for soft cookies, 1/4" for medium cookies, or 1/8" thickness for crisp cookies.  Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes.

Oh and just a caveat, um if you have a regular kitchen aid mixer, I uh wouldn't double this recipe.... just sayin.  And I'm make sure you have the top locked down, this is a very thick dough.

No comments: