Saturday, October 01, 2011

Something New

Today I made applesauce and canned it!  It was the first time I ever made applesauce or canned anything.  It was so easy I could hit myself for not doing it before.  I've had homemade applesauce, I remember a batch of my Grammy's that was pink.  My mom did a little bit of canning when I was young, but we were more of a freezer family. 

This is what I did: 
I cut the apples into quarters (how many, ummm 5lbs or more?)
Removed the seeds I could see and the stems and threw them into a stockpot 
The pot had an inch of water in the bottom 
I boiled them on medium until they were soft 
I then ladled them into a food mill 
From there I heated up the applesauce again and canned according to the directions in my kit instructions.


I also had some left over which I put into containers and transferred to the fridge.  Let me tell you Just Do it! It will be worth your time.   (I bought the food mill because I like very smooth applesauce, many people do not, so you could just peel and core the apples and mash them with a potato masher.)

No comments: